CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Locks of Love....a two year journey





ok. The first two pics are of me and my VERY short hair cut back in December of 2005. That is the last time i have had my hair cut. We still lived in Texas. The last two are current pics. i've cut bangs but not length. anyway, at Thanksgiving this year my sister, Connie, mentioned that i should continue growing it out and donate it to "Locks of Love". side note - i know of two people that have grown their hair out and donated it...Meagan Meaux (Friendship) and Emily Free (Calvary). I had been thinking about getting a new style when she mentioned this so i wasn't too excited aout having to continue growing it out. I had heard of "Locks of Love" but never seriously thought about growing my hair for the sole purpose to donate it to this "organization". i guess the Lord has changed my mind so now my hair has a purpose :)...

below you will find an explanation of this non-profit organization.


Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.

Mission Statement

Our mission is to return a sense of self, confidence and normalcy to children suffering from hair loss by utilizing donated ponytails to provide the highest quality hair prosthetics to financially disadvantaged children. The children receive hair prostheses free of charge or on a sliding scale, based on financial need.


I'll keep you updated on this journey....

5 comments:

Matt and Meredith said...

That's awesome Steph. That will mean a lot to a girl. If you start taking prenatal vitamins it will grow even faster! : ) Then you could have a baby too! : ) I'm only saying this because it sounded like maybe God might be having you toy with the idea of having another one! Whatever He leads you to is perfect, no pressure. Just thought I'd throw that out there! : )

Michawn said...

I'll pressure you...ha, just kidding.

You know 3 people. I've done this too, except I didn't grow my hair out for the reason to donate. It was already long and I cut it, so donated. I would've done it the 2nd big cut I got right after I had Hadley, but the lady thought that since I had highlights I couldn't. I found out later that wasn't true...they just don't want you to have super damaged hair. Anyhoo, great idea. Next time I get a big cut, I'll be doing the same thing. You should go check out some of last month's posts on 2www.noahsteven.blogspot.com...pretty cool Locks of Love stories there.

Leah said...

You know, I think they only need 10 inches. How many do you have?

Connie said...

Mia is going to donate hers to. I already talked to her about it and she is super pumped about getting a new do for kindergarten. It looked really pretty today so I was having second thoughts and then I thought...she's only 4...she can grow it out and donate like 10 more times. It's just hair. I'm glad your doing it too.

The Brodines said...

hey there!!! Thanks for checking my blog and for the comment. I am looking forward to reading your blog and keeping more in touch that way. Blessings to you and your family!