CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The impact of a teacher....


Mattie and I were sitting on the swing this morning waiting for the bus. She, out of the blue, says, "Mrs. Wallace was mean to me". She was mattie's first grade teacher...the first time. Mattie told me the teacher would yell at her when she would get her work wrong and that it would make her - Mattie - so mad. i asked her why she didn't tell us and she said that she did. i said that she had told us a year later not while she was in her class. lets just say Mattie did not do well at all starting from the 3rd six weeks on that year. When she did her 1st gr again w/ a very sweet teacher who didn't yell at her, strangely enough she made A's and B's on her report card ALL YEAR and was always on the A or A/B honor roll. Now in the 2nd grade she's still making A's and B's. Now if you were to ask Wallace why this is i'm quite sure she would quickly say that those teachers are just too easy. i know this b/c she made reference to "other" teacher being a lot easier than her while mattie was in her class.

Sometimes i think teachers forget how they can impact a child's life...negagive or positive. I can freely say that cuz i taught before getting married.

i'm sad today. sad that i couldn't protect my child. let's just say this will not EVER happen again.

3 comments:

Connie said...

WHAT A JERK. If I were you I'd go right up there to that school and tell them everything and that Mattie, even a year later, remembers that evil woman.

She did have a very sweet teacher last year..praise the Lord for women like her.

Now, if all the other kids would be nice too......

Marilyn Johnson said...

I am so sorry that Mattie had such an awful experience. Every child should leave school every day knowing that he is unique, of supreme worth, and absolutely wonderful!--because he is! Psalms 139 tells how God made us so wonderful. Even if he never learns to read, add, etc., he is still wonderful. And most do learn the things they need with the right guidance and time. I am glad that last year was so great for her.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That touched my heart! I'm teaching 1st grade now and try to be so sensitive. I hope my little ones don't leave first grade with negative feelings. My first grade experience was not good. Slapping was allowed back then (not me! but someone else)and it bothers me to this day. But I have learned to laugh about most of it and realize what a sad person she must have been. We can't protect them from everything but we can talk to them and help them handle it in a positive way.
Love you,
Nena